Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prince

This has been an awful year for musicians passing.

Big fish leaving the pond.

David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Maurice White...and now Prince.  And it's only April.

Stunned. Just stunned.

I  spoke to my brother, Kirk, and he talked about how Prince had touched him in so many ways. The Time, Wendy and Lisa, the fact that he wrote "Manic Monday" for the Bangles. His Super Bowl performance. On and on.

He was the first black person, that I remember, who sang the praises of Joni Mitchell. It kind of justified this black person's love for her.

Do you know the Stevie Nicks story? She was in the studio recording "Stand Back." She knew Prince. He stopped by, walked over to the synthesizer and began playing the bubbling deep part that is so recognizable to that song.

Go ahead and listen.

What you're hearing is a genius who heard things...differently.

And let's not forget his songs. A few hits...


Everybody remembers "When Doves Cry." How about  "Raspberry Beret?" "Let's Go Crazy" from the movie Purple Rain. And can't forget the song "Purple Rain." Who can forget Julia Roberts in that bubble bath in Pretty Woman singing "Kiss?" I never will.

I heard "Little Red Corvette" on a rock station in New York, WNEW-FM, and Scott Muni played it and back sold it, like it was supposed to be there. And guess what? It was.

Very cool.

I met Prince.

I was a rock and roll deejay in Chicago at a station called The Loop. He was new and his song, "I Wanna Be Your Lover," was all over MTV and the radio. My friend, Bradley Green, found out that he was playing at a club in town, so we went.

I didn't know what to expect but I didn't expect what I saw and heard.
He had on a trench coat, remember that? He played the guitar like he invented it. Smokin' hot. He sang smokin' hot. He moved smokin' hot. He was...well you get the picture.

After I glued my eyebrows, that he had burned off, back on, I went back stage after the show. He was quiet, shy really, and was pleased we were so taken by his performance. Prince was also very nice.

Oh yeah, the best performers I've ever seen in heels?
Tina Turner and Prince.

There were a few made up rivalries that I recall. The Beatles and the Stones. Earth, Wind and Fire and
Parliament/Funkadelic. And Michael Jackson and Prince.

I liked all of the above.

Let me ask you this. Was there ever anyone like Prince?

One last thing I have to mention. When he recorded "We're Gonna Party Like It's 1999" that seemed so far off in the future. Now it's so far in the past.

Just saying.

I miss him already.

Prince.

Prince.


#MarkMcEwen
Subscribe to my blog: Mark McEwen's World
Follow me on twitter: @mcewenmark
Like my page on facebook: www.facebook.com/markmcewensworld
And also visit my website: www.markmcewen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment