Monday, November 24, 2014

What I Take Every Day

Ever since my stroke I take my pills every morning. Some are vitamins (which I should take anyway) and some are medications that my doctor has prescribed for me.

First the vitamins.

When you are younger you have thick armor around you that helps to protect you as you go through life. As you get older that armor gets thinner and thinner. Our job is to help that armor. That’s where the vitamins come into play. They help you be better prepared for battle. That's a lofty expression for they do ya good. 

I take a multiple vitamin every day and it says ‘Supports Heart Health’  right on the label. That support is as important to me as what it contains. I take vitamin C everyday also. A bit of overkill because C is in the multiple but I’ll tell you why I take it. It goes back to my dad and his pearls of wisdom. 

Back in the day, when jogging was new, and vitamins were the unknown, my father swore by C and said we should take it as well. He said he rarely got colds and if he did, they were milder and didn't last as long. More like a stone skipping across a pond as opposed to that stone going under the water.

I have young kids who bring everything home from school. While they’re sneezing and blowing their noses, I’m not. 

I’m just quietly turning into my dad.

I also take D3 daily and fish oil. Although it’s not a vitamin, the oil gives me omega -3 fatty acids, which also help my heart. In fact according to the American Heart Association, “omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of-or who have –cardiovascular disease.” Do some research and see for yourself.
 
On to medication.

Atorvastin is a statin. Statins help lower levels of what they call ‘bad’ cholesterol and raise the levels of ‘good’ cholesterol. It also helps to lower the risk of stroke. Check.

Metoprolol Tartrate and Lisopronol both help combat my high blood pressure and I need all the help in that arena I can get. They also help lower the risk of stroke. Check.

I suffer from Afib or Atrial Fibrillation which is an irregular heartbeat. I take Eliquis which helps with that and is a blood thinner medicine that reduces blood clotting.  I’ve said before that my stroke was ischemic so blood thinners are now a part of my life. (Full Disclosure…I hosted the launch of Eliquis for Pfizer and Bristol-Myers Squibb. After that launch my cardiologist prescribed it for me.)

I used to be on Coumadin but those that are, know that with it comes monthly monitoring of your blood and a list of foods to stay away from. With Eliquis I don't have to worry about that.  And it works very well for me.

So there you have it.  

These pills have become friends of mine.
Like a lot of folks I have a weekly pill box to help me remember what to take. When it's empty I sit on my bed watching tv and fill it back up.

It's getting kind of worn but that's okay. It helps keep me safe and sound.


Follow me on twitter (@mcewenmark) or on Facebook (www.facebook.com/markmcewensworld) and visit my website www.markmcewen.com


No comments:

Post a Comment